At DHA, our goal is to help first-time buyers develop and implement a homeownership plan tailored to their individual needs and circumstances. Our counseling staff are certified and use curriculum developed and tested by the FDIC. We are proud to give our clients consistent, high-quality, and ethical service. Due to the time consuming nature of an intensive housing counseling session, we request that you please schedule an appointment.
- Must be employed for at least a year
- Must have an earned annual income of at least $18,600 (without a HCV Voucher)
- Must not have been a homeowner within the past three years
- Must have completed initial lease term and be in good standing with your current landlord
- Must enroll and complete all required homeownership counseling
- Must provide the greater of $500 or 1% towards the purchase transaction
We offer a range of services to help buyers get mortgage ready, find a home, choose a lender, and access special financing opportunities. Best of all, our services are completely free.
- Private Counseling Sessions: We will review your credit, income and assets to help identify any obstacles you may face before becoming a homeowner. If you need to take corrective action, establish a budget, or build up a better credit score, our counselors will help you develop and stick to a sensible plan.
- Homebuyer Workshop: We require all of our clients to attend our eight-hour Homeownership Institute workshop at some point during our work with you. This workshop is a prerequisite to qualify for many first-time homebuyer loan products in our area.
- Loan Prequalification and Application: When you and your counselor determine that you are ready for homeownership, we will help you identify special financing programs and refer you to preferred lenders that are particularly knowledgeable about the first-time homebuyers' market.
- Finding a Home: We maintain a referral list of preferred Realtors who understand the needs of first-time homebuyers. We will also let you know about DHA homes that are available for sale. But whatever service you prefer, the home buying choice is ultimately up to you.
- Post-Purchase Counseling: We hope our relationship doesn't end when you purchase your home. We want to make sure you keep it. Some clients need extra support to stick to their household budgets, while others face unexpected circumstances that affect their ability to pay their mortgage. Whether you are facing expensive maintenance issues, are considering refinancing, or are worried about foreclosure, we are here to help.
Available Downloads & Links
- DDC Journal story featuring DHA (2,473.0K)
Some documents on the website are only provided in PDF format and do require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader.