The Resident Safety Program provides safe housing for residents of the Durham Housing Authority. Resident Safety works with various law enforcement agencies to ensure that the DHA communities are a safe and productive place to live and work. Programs provided by the Resident Safety Division include but are not limited to:
- Resident Crime Task Force Meetings - A monthly meeting attended by Resident Council Members, local law enforcement agencies and Resident Safety staff to discuss resident safety, concerns, community reports and crime prevention.
- Domestic Violence Workshops – Provides training to resident on signs and effect of domestic violence and what to do if you suspect someone is being physically and mentally abuse.
- Fire Prevention - The Fire Safety Program teaches the residents the importance of protecting their communities from injuries, deaths and property damage resulting from fires and related perils.
- Resident Patrol - A monthly meeting with Resident Council Member, local Law Enforcement Officers and DHA to discuss crime related problems in the DHA Communities.
- DHA’s National Night Out - A program designed to heighten crime and drug prevention awareness, generate support for and participation in local anticrime efforts, strengthen neighborhood spirit and police community partnerships. In August 2012, more than 1,500 residents participated in this event.
- Project Safe Neighborhood - In 2011, Project Safe Neighborhoods sponsored the Durham Housing Authority (DHA) Youth Initiative in five DHA communities. The initiative’s purpose is to build and foster relationships between middle school aged residents and Durham Police officers. In an eight month period, four sessions were conducted in Oxford Manor, Liberty Street, Cornwallis, Club Boulevard, and McDougald Terrace.
- Getting to Know You is a component of Project Safe Neighborhood. Workshop topics included DPD Arrest Protocol, Anonymous Crime Reports, and Bullying. Following each facilitated discussion, dinner was provided for participating youth and officers.
- Resident Safety Program - The Resident Safety Program coordinates crime prevention, fire prevention and other workshops and events addressing community safety and needs identified by residents.