Skip to Main Content


**IF you are interested in Porting In to Durham County, you need to notify the agency you are coming from, that you wish to move to our jurisdiction. If they allow you to move then they must send us your paperwork first. Once paperwork is received it will be processed within 7-10 business days, you will be assigned a caseworker and that person will contact you.

IF you are interested in Porting Out of Durham County. You need to complete a port out request form and provide it to your DHA caseworker.**

Now that you are receiving federal housing assistance, the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) wants you to have a broad range of choice in where to live. One of the top priorities of HUD is to broaden housing choices for low-income families. The Section 8 Voucher Program does not restrict where in the city, county, state, or country you may live. Often families with low incomes are restricted to high poverty areas. If you live in such an area, your Voucher provides you with the means to move, and you are encouraged to do so.

Moving out of areas of high poverty or low opportunity offers significant advantages to Section 8 families. Moving will allow you to select a home in close proximity to better education, jobs, public transportation, public services, and shopping, select a home within a neighborhood that offers the amenities you desire, low crime rate, and/or a home in proximity to the school of your choice for your children. HUD studies show that when families move from high poverty areas, children reach higher levels of school achievement.

Where A Family May Move!
Portability enables a family to move nationwide from one local Housing Authority's jurisdiction to another. The Housing Authority of the County of Durham will coordinate with the Housing Authority in the jurisdiction to which you would like to move to make your move possible. You must check with the Housing Authority in the area where you wish to move before assuming that a transfer will be automatic. You should attempt to find out if there is a Section 8 Program operational in the community to which you would like to move, and the name and address of the person who might be of assistance. If you are unable to obtain this information, this Housing Authority will attempt to obtain the information for you.

Port INTO Durham County
330 E. Main Street, Durham, NC 27701
P: 919.683.1551 Fax: (919) 683-1237
Email Us

Step 1: Start the Process.
Request with your current housing authority to port here. If they approve your port, they will need to send your paperwork. It may take 10 business days or more (depending on your housing authority) to receive it. 

Step 2: Contact DHA.
It is your responsibility to contact the Portability Coordinator to confirm your paperwork was received. 

Step 3: DHA Review.
Once you've confirmed that your paperwork was received, the Coordinator will need to review it, and contact you within 3-5 business days to confirm your information. Additional documentation may be required.

Step 4: Briefing.
Once your paperwork is determined to be complete, you will be invited for a briefing, where you will receive your moving papers. The average time to schedule a briefing is 10-14 business days from the date the Coordinator has received all required documentation. Briefings are group sessions by appointment only. 

Step 5 Find Housing.
You search for a unit and give the landlord the moving packet to complete. Either the landlord or the client can submit the packet to our office. The packet can simply be emailed to 

Step 6: Inspection & Final Contract Process.
Once the moving packet is submitted, it is another 7-10 business days until it is processed and moved to inspection. If the unit passes inspection, the Contracts & Leasing Dept. will finalize your portion of the rent and send the contract to the landlord.

*Please note that the determination of voucher bedroom size is based on the following; 2 people per bedroom (regardless of sex or age) per the DuPage Housing Authority's Administrative Plan

Port OUT of Durham County
Step 1: Start the Port Out Process.
Put your request in writing (mail, email, fax) to your Specialist. You must provide a copy of the Notice to Move form/letter you submitted to your landlord. 

Step 2: Port Out Approval.
If your move is approved, your Specialist will have a voucher for you to sign. The Specialist will forward the paperwork to the Portability Coordinator, (this may take 5-10 business days). The Portability Coordinator will send your paperwork to the new housing authority (this may take an additional 5-10 business days).

Step 3: The New Housing Agency.
Your new Housing Agency will provide you with all necessary forms to finalize the transfer. Contact the new agency for questions related to their policies & inquiries related to the moving process.


Map showing the location of Durham within the state of North Carolina

Serving the City of Durham, North Carolina