The ROSS Program works to promote the development of local strategies to coordinate the use of assistance under the Public Housing program with public and private resources, for supportive services and resident empowerment activities. These services enable participating families to increase earned income, reduce or eliminate the need for welfare assistance, make progress toward achieving economic independence and housing self-sufficiency.
Building Family Strengths (BFS) provides a comprehensive and developmentally appropriate approach to strengthen the family structure. BFS focuses on the positive qualities of the family and encourages the family to recognize it strengths and build upon them.
- WORC and GROW Programs
- Resident Opportunities and Self Sufficiency (ROSS) Elderly/Persons with Disabilities Program
- Seniors - Free Weekly Shuttle Service to Walmart
- GoDurham Senior Shuttle
WORC and GROW Programs
The Public Housing Family Self-Sufficiency and Resident Opportunities for Self-Sufficiency work in partnership with Grace Place Ministries and the Godmothers Group to launch the Grow, Reach, Overcome and Win (GROW) Points program in the Hoover Road community and the Women Organized and Ready for a Career (WORC) Program in the Cornwallis Road community. These programs take participants from point A - Z of the employment process. Workshop topics included:
- Interviewing Skills
- Resume Building
- How to Conduct an Effective Job Search
- The Importance of Good Health
- Employment Stressors and Job Retention
Resident Opportunities and Self Sufficiency (ROSS) Elderly/Persons with Disabilities Program
The ROSS Elderly/Persons with Disabilities Program works to deliver and coordinate supportive services and other activities designed to help improve the living conditions of public housing residents who are elderly andor disabled.
The goal of this program is to assist the elderly and persons living with disabilities in maintaining their independence through on-site and community programs and services:
- Low-Impact Fitness
- Health and Resource Fairs
- Mental Fitness Activities
- Access Community Resources-Nutrition, Health Aides and/or Vocational Rehab Crime and Awareness and Home Safety
- Budget on a Fixed Income
- Limited financial assistance available for job training and continuing education
- NCBA Senior Community Service Employment Program
The Resident Opportunities and Self Sufficiency (ROSS) Elderly/Persons with Disabilities Program includes:
- The PACE Program - Healthcare and Personal services for residents 55 and older.
- The Walking Club - Meets weekly with health education along with walking and exercise. These clubs are held at JJ Henderson, Oldham Towers and Morreene Road Communities. Duke School of Nursing, Durham Public Health and CAARE Inc. provide health education and blood pressure checks.
- The Nutrition Classes - Sponsored by the NC Extension program, Durham Public Health and the Inter Faith food shuttle - these classes include teaching culinary skills, cooking, and nutrition education. There are six classes scheduled for at JJ Henderson Housing Center, Oldham Towers, Scattered Sites, Preiss Steele and Morning Glory. Each class is attended by 15 residents.
- Trips to CAARE - Every week, a group of residents attend the exercise classes at CAARE Inc. located at 214 Broadway Street. These classes are around 1 hour and it includes exercise, blood pressure checks and the residents then receive groceries. All of the sites are designated a day to attend.
- FEED My Sheep Inc. - This organization provides a hot breakfast in Oldham Towers and JJ Henderson, Monday thru Friday from 9am-10am. All DHA residents are invited. Hopefully, the program will extend to Scattered Sites and Forest Hills. During a month, over 500 breakfasts are served. FEED my Sheep, Inc. also sponsors a "FEED" on the fourth Saturday of every month which includes a hot meal and groceries. This feed is held at JJ Henderson Towers.
- Health Fairs - The ROSS Service Coordinator program sponsors along with all of its partners to provide a health four times a year in various locations.
- Duke University Physical Therapy provides weekly "Fall Prevention" exercise classes at JJ Henderson on Mondays from 11:30-12:30.
- Financial Management Classes - Classes include money management, credit and budgeting. These classes are taught by NC Extension and Cardinal State Bank.
Seniors - Free Weekly Shuttle Service to Walmart - GoDurham Senior Shuttle
GoDurham Senior Shuttle - Residents from five senior communities in Durham are able to take a free weekly shuttle between their homes and Walmart!
No advanced booking is required. For information on the location of the bus stop and scheduled departure times, please click here to visit our website.
#Share #GoDurham #FreeTransportation
- Mondays - Forest Hill Heights
- Tuesdays - J.J. Henderson
- Wednesdays - Preiss-Steele
- Thursdays - Morning Glory
- Fridays - Hosiery Mill