Emergency Inspections for Carbon Monoxide
Today, Durham Housing Authority (DHA) began emergency inspections for potential carbon monoxide (CO) exposure at McDougald Terrace. This is being as a precaution because of recent reports of exposure levels. Although all units with gas appliances are equipped with CO detectors, the inspections will focus on ensuring that all units have properly installed and working detectors.
Beginning tomorrow (12/27/19) morning at 8:30 am, the Durham Fire Department, EMS, Neighborhood Improvement Services and DHA will conduct door-to-door visits to ensure that all residents are aware of how to stay safe from carbon monoxide dangers. The education will include explaining the dangers of alternative heating sources, recognizing symptoms of CO exposure and the distribution of educational material.
Residents should immediately seek medical attention for flu like symptoms and should not use alternate heating sources such as a kerosene heater. Any smell of gas or maintenance concern with heating equipment should be reported immediately. Questions can be directed to Emanual Foster, Director of Housing Operations at 919.683.1551 ext. 7205. Anyone who suspects carbon monoxide or gas should contact 911.