DHA CEO to Testify Before House Appropriations Subcommittee
WASHINGTON DC- Durham Housing Authority CEO Anthony Scott will testify before Congress this Thursday on behalf of the Council of Large Public Housing Authorities during a hearing of the U.S. House of Representatives Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies titled, "Stakeholder Perspectives: Affordable Housing Production."
In his testimony, Scott will emphasize the critical need for reinvestment in the nation's Public Housing and Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Programs, which are the foundation of the affordable housing market.
In addition to calling for increased appropriations to the Public Housing Capital Fund, Scott will urge Congress to combat the housing shortage and housing instability facing our nation's most vulnerable citizens by:
- Providing public housing authorities greater flexibility to preserve and transform public housing;
- Eliminating both the arbitrarily low cap on unit conversions under the Rental Assistance Demonstration program, and the Faircloth Amendment which prohibits the development of new public housing units;
- Investing in broad place-based solutions such as the Choice Neighborhoods Initiative to address neighborhood and community development needs;
- Encouraging greater interdepartmental collaboration to facilitate cross-sector partnerships with housing; and
- Recognizing public and affordable housing as an integral part of the national infrastructure.
The subcommittee, chaired by David Price (D-NC), will also hear from two other witnesses during the hearing: Scott Farmer, Executive Director of the North Carolina Housing Finance Agency; and Ellen Lurie Hoffman, Federal Policy Director of the National Housing Trust Fund.
The hearing will be live-streamed on the Subcommittee's YouTube channel beginning at 10:30 AM ET on Thursday, March 7.