Skip to Main Content

Family Obligations for HCV

The Family Must:

  • Supply such information that the Durham Housing Authority (DHA) or HUD determines to be necessary, including submission of required evidence of citizenship or eligible alien status, and submissions required for an annual or interim reexamination of family income and composition.
  • Disclose and verify social security numbers and sign and submit consent forms for obtaining information.
  • Supply any information requested by the DHA to verify that the family is living in the unit or information related to family absence from the unit.
  • Promptly notify the DHA in writing when the family is away from the unit for an extended period of time accordance with DHA's policies.
  • Allow the DHA to inspect the dwelling unit at reasonable times and after reasonable notice.
  • Notify the DHA and the owner before vacating the dwelling unit or terminating the lease.
  • Use the dwelling unit solely for residence by the family, and as the family's principal place of residence.
  • Promptly notify the DHA in writing of the birth, adoption, or court-awarded custody of a child.
  • Request DHA written approval to add any other family member as an occupant of the unit.
  • Promptly notify the DHA in writing if any family member no longer lives in the unit.
  • Give the DHA a copy of any owner eviction notice.
  • Pay utility bills and supply appliances that the owner is not required to supply under the lease.

The Family Must Not:

  • Own or have any interest in the dwelling unit except for manufactured homes where the participant may own the mobile home and rent the pad.
  • Commit any fraud in connection with the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
  • Commit any bribery or any other corrupt or criminal act in connection with the program.
  • Receive housing assistance under the Housing Choice Voucher Program while occupying or receiving housing assistance for occupancy of any other unit assisted under any Federal Housing Assistance Program (including any rental assistance program).
  • Sublease/assign the lease or transfer the unit.
  • Engage in any drug-related criminal activity or violent criminal activity, including criminal activity by any family member. Threaten or physically abuse any employee of the NHA.
  • Abuse alcohol in a way that may interfere with the health, safety, or right to peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other residents.
  • Damage the unit or premises (other than damage from ordinary wear and tear) or permit any guest damage the unit or premises.
Map showing the location of Durham within the state of North Carolina

Serving the City of Durham, North Carolina